Who we are
Tutorean is a website platform that facilitates the meeting, communication and ongoing learning journey between Parents/Students and Tutors.
Personal information we collect
- Sign Up: Tutorean requires the following data in order for you to sign up:
- Your first and last name;
- Your phone number;
- Your email address.
- Further optional information you can provide with a Parent/Student account:
- Subjects and levels you wish to be taught;
- Your general availability for lessons;
- Your address.
- For Tutors, Tutorean stores the following further personal information:
- Subjects and levels taught;
- Address and teaching area;
- Qualifications and experience;
- Profile photo;
- Short biography;
- DBS document;
- Hourly rate;
- Optional tutoring experience biography. (Note that formal identification documents that are uploaded by Tutors are not saved or stored by Tutorean. This process is handled by a third party provider who verifies and stores Tutors’ photo identification (accepted documents are either a valid passport or a driving license). See the ‘Payment Processors’ section for more details.)
- Payment Data: Tutors are required to store their payment details on Tutorean in order to receive payment. Parents/Students also have the opt-in ability to save payment details on Tutorean to use again for repeat bookings.
- Platform Activity: Tutorean may store the following additional information about active users, depending on which parts of the site are used. These include:
- Any searches made on Tutorean;
- Feedback Tutors have received from Parents/Students, in the form of ratings and/or reviews;
- Any and all correspondence between any Parents/Students and Tutors on the Tutorean site through the internal messaging system.
- Further Data: Tutorean may also store the following additional information depending on which parts of the site are used. These include:
- A unique Tutorean user ID (an alphanumeric string) which is assigned to you upon registration;
- Your IP Address and, when applicable, timestamp related to your consent, confirmation of consent and message exchange;
- The geographic area where you use your computer and mobile devices;
- Any and all other information submitted by you or your organisational representatives via various methods (phone, email, online forms, surveys, in-person meetings, etc);
- Any and all information we may receive relating to any communication you send us, such as, but not limited to, queries or comments concerning our services;
- Any and all information relating to an individual’s real time location. Tutorean also automatically collects and receives certain information from your computer or mobile device, including the activities you perform on the Tutorean website, the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system or browser), and information obtained from cookies (see “Cookies and Related Technologies” below).
- Facebook, Google: Tutorean allows you to sign up and/or log into Tutorean using your Facebook or Google account. If you sign up using one of these platforms, or otherwise link your Facebook/Google and Tutorean accounts, the other platform will ask for your permission to share certain personal information from your account with Tutorean. This may include your first name, last name, email address, gender, general location, a link to your Facebook/Google profile, your time zone, date of birth and your profile picture. If you choose to grant that permission, they will share that information with Tutorean on an ongoing basis and we will treat the information we receive from Facebook/Google the same as if you had provided that information directly to Tutorean. You can control the information that Tutorean receives from Facebook/Google using the privacy settings in your respective Facebook/Google account.
By default, Tutor profiles will only contain the tutor’s first name and first initial of their surname. We do not display the full surname or any contact information such as an email address or phone number. Tutor profiles may also contain, but are not limited to, personal information such as a profile photo, education and qualifications, teaching location, short biography, optional tutoring experience description and feedback from other Parents/Students. Tutor profiles may show up in external search engine results pages (such as, but not limited to, Google).
Parents/Students do not currently have profiles and are not searchable by Tutors. Parents/Students may post tutoring requests which become visible on Tutors’ jobs boards. By default, these posts will only contain the Parents’/Students’ first name and first initial of their surname. Tutorean does not display the full surname or any contact information such as an email address or phone number. Parent’s/Student’s tutoring requests may also contain information pertaining to the desired subject, level and location of lessons.
How we use your data
Tutorean, as a data controller may use your information for statistical analysis, to develop and improve its products, to update its records, to identify products which might interest you, to keep you informed about your account and to conduct market research.
Tutorean records all requests for web pages or forms from its site, including the date and time and the IP address or the user, browser and device type, access times, the web page from which you came, the regions from which you navigate the web page and the web page(s) you access. Identifying you when you login to your account enables Tutorean to provide services such as verifying your transactions (for purchase confirmation), billing, security and authentication.
Tutorean may also use your information to:
- Conduct research into Tutorean’s user demographics and user behaviour in order to improve Tutorean’s content and services;
- Contact you about your account and provide customer service support, including responding to your comments and questions to keep you informed about the services, features, surveys, offers and events you may find useful, or which you have requested from us to better understand your needs.
Tutorean may also store information about you using cookies. When you visit the Tutorean website, Tutorean sends these to your personal computer or other access device. They allow the Tutorean site to keep track of your logged-in status, number of visits to a certain page, etc. You can delete these cookies, but this will result in your having to re-enter data.
When we may share personal data
Tutorean does not divulge any personal data to third parties, but Tutorean may share any data Tutorean has collected about you under the following circumstances:
- When you explicitly consent to the disclosure of such information to a third party when connecting to a third-party service that asks you if you consent to such sharing;
- Where Tutorean is legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders or legal process, or to establish, protect, or exercise Tutorean’s legal rights or to defend against legal claims or demands;
- If Tutorean believes it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person;
- If Tutorean believes it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of our services infrastructure or the internet in general (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the website infrastructure or the services generally);
- To a parent company, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with Tutorean;
- If this information is not private, is aggregated or is otherwise non-personal information, such as your public user profile information and related public data or the number of users who clicked on a particular link (even if only one did so).
Tutorean use tracking technology (“cookies”) on the Tutorean website, including mobile application identifiers and a unique Tutorean user ID to help us recognise you across different services, to monitor usage, web traffic routing and to customize and improve its services.
Right to access data and right to be forgotten
Tutorean acknowledges that our users have the right to access the personal information/data that Tutorean maintains. Tutorean’s users have the right to request access, or to correct, edit, or delete inaccurate information. Any of Tutorean’s users can request changes by filling out Tutorean’s contact form.
Unless Tutorean has another legal basis for storing your personal data, Tutorean will de-identify or delete the personal data Tutorean has stored about you within 30 days of when you formally withdraw your consent.
Since the GDPR update, you have important rights that protect your personal data and you can access any of these rights by contacting Tutorean through Tutorean’s contact form. The following is a summary of these rights:
- Right of access - you have the right to access/request any of your information that’s saved, stored or processed by Tutorean;
- Right of rectification - you have a right to ask Tutorean to correct data that Tutorean holds about you that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to be forgotten - you can ask for the data Tutorean holds about you to be erased from Tutorean’s records where there is no longer a good reason for Tutorean to continue to process it;
- Right to restriction of processing - where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing;
- Right of portability - you have the right to have the data Tutorean holds about you and to have this data transferred to a third party;
- Right to object - you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
Tutorean will not be able to erase information that is required to maintain Tutorean’s business’ purpose, erase information if Tutorean has a legal reason to keep it, or erase data that is required to facilitate your contract with Tutorean.
You have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at any time.
Within some of Tutorean’s pages, for example the ‘Better Tutor Blog’ or ‘Study Corner Blog’, Tutorean may link to external websites, that is, websites that are not part of Tutorean (third-party websites). Tutorean is not responsible for the content of these external internet sites. Tutorean is careful with whom it links to, but since the sites are out of Tutorean’s control they could contain unsuitable content and may have Privacy Policies which differ from Tutorean’s. Please review their policies if you are concerned.
All Tutorean pages contain a familiar logo and layout. If the website does not contain this typical information you have most likely followed a link onto an external website.
Tutorean takes email privacy very seriously with users of the Tutorean website. Any email addresses that users supply when signing up are not sold to third parties for marketing purposes.
Tutorean uses industry best practices to keep any information collected, saved or transmitted secure.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. Tutorean cannot guarantee the security of information you submit whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk. If you are a logged-in user, it is advisable that you logout of your account at the end of every session and not leave a logged-in account unattended for any period of time, particularly if you use a shared computer or device.
Protecting the safety of children when they use the internet is very important to Tutorean. Tutorean’s services are not designed for/ intended for use by children or anyone else under the age of 13. Students under the age of 18 must have authorisation to use the Tutorean platform by their Parent and/or guardian.
The Tutorean name and logo is the property of Intersection Ventures Limited and may not be copied or distributed without consent.